Today’s consumer has three choices when making a decision to purchase insurance products:
- independent agent
- captive agent
- direct writer
An independent agent is one who is self-employed, is paid on commission and represents multiple insurance companies. Independent agents save customers time by shopping on their behalf for both the best price and the best coverage.
A captive agent or exclusive agent is an employee of only one insurance company and is restricted by agreement from submitting business to any other company unless it is first rejected by the agent’s captive company (State Farm, Farmers, Liberty Mutual, Nationwide, etc.).
A direct writer is an insurance company that sells directly to the consumer with no agent involved (GEICO, USAA, Esurance, etc.).
Of the top 50 property/casualty insurance companies in Texas, ranked by total premium volume written, more than half are available to independent agents
- Are free to place a client’s insurance with any company the agency represents
- Evaluate the insurance needs of clients and recommend the best coverage to meet those needs; they do not set insurance prices or pay claims
- Help customers through the claims process in dealing with the insurance company
- Write 80 percent of the $12 billion in commercial insurance purchased in Texas each year
- Handle insurance for about 1 million Texas home owners
- Write about 2.8 million auto insurance policies every year
Hill Insurance Agency LP is an independent insurance agency and a member of the Independent Insurance Agents of Texas (IIAT). We represent a number a national and regional insurance carriers, and have broker relationships with access to over 200 carriers.